Our school took part in the Active School Week again this year. We took part for the first time last year and really enjoyed it. We have lots of PE during the year but we spend most of Active School week doing new activities. we were lucky that we had good weather for our Treasure Hunt again this year. We started each morning with
Our school was built in 1964. It is situated between Cloghan and Kilcormac. We have five teachers in our school, Mrs. Doolan, Mr. Gilligan, Miss Kerin and Mrs. Farrelly, Ms Donohoe and Ms Digan. Rosemary McGarry is our school secretary. The school was refurbished in 2005 and the new building was officially opened on May 6th by Brian Cowen, then Minister of Finance and Dr.
As part of our preparations for the opening of our new school Carmel McLoughlin has researched the history of our school, most especially Bun National School which was the first state school built in this area. Lumcloon National School replaced Bun National School in 1964. Bun National School was built in 1885. The school was a one teacher school. In 1895 a Miss Bridget
Lumcloon is a townland in the parish of Cloghan and Banagher (originally Gallen and Reynagh) in County Offaly. County Offaly as it is known today came into existence in 1556 after the English plantation of both Laois and Offaly by Queen Mary 1 of England. The newly structured counties were given new names also, with Offaly being called “King’s County” after King Philip husband